On 30 Jul 2008, at 19:57, Pierre-Evariste Dagand wrote:

But just how GREAT is that, really? Well, we don'
t know. Why? Because there isn't actually a way test for randomness. Your DNS resolver could be using some easily predicted random number generator like, say, a linear congruential one, as is common in the rand() library function, but DNS-OARC would still say it was GREAT. Believe them when they
say it isn't GREAT, though!

Well, they are some tests to judge the "quality" of a random number
generator. The best known being the Diehard tests:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diehard_tests
http://stat.fsu.edu/pub/diehard/

For sure, these tests might be an overkill here. Also, there must be
some tests in the Art of Computer Programming too but I don't have it
at hand right now (shame on me).

I don't see the point of evaluating the quality of a random number
generator by statistical tests. But I might be wrong, though.

Sorry - but something like AES(static-key) encrypt of i++ or SHA1(i++) will pass each and everyone of those test very nicely - but with a bit of code or silicon peeking - one can probably 'break' this with relative ease.

I fail to see how you could evaluate this without seeing the code (and even then - I doubt that one can properly do this -- the ?old? NSA habit of tweaking your random generated rather than your protocol/ algorithm when they wanted your produced upgraded to export quality - is terribly effective and very hard to spot).

Or am I missing something ?

Dw