On 30 Jul 2008, at 21:33, Ben Laurie wrote:

For sure, it would be better if we could check the source code and
match the implemented RNG against an already known RNG.
But, then, there is a "the chicken or the egg" problem: how would you
ensure that a *new* RNG is a good source of "randomness" ? (it's not a
rhetorical questions, I'm curious about other approaches).

By reviewing the algorithm and thinking hard.

But even then - is that really 'possible' - or is this fundamentally a black art ?

Dw