James A. Donald

On 2011-07-20 3:25 AM, lodewijk andré de la porte wrote:
> This would revive many of the things people have aspired to
> kill with bitcoins. Among others the "creation" of money (I
> can borrow and "store" more money than I have). It would
> also mean moving the scalability problem to a centralized
> system, a trusted party.

Not centralized if there are several entities issuing bitcoin
backed account money.  Nor is trust a big problem if value is
only stored in accounts and chaumian coins for a relatively
short period, with accounts being settled up in actual bitcoins
at the end of the day, or the end of the month.

> In other words: wouldn't having money backed by bitcoins
> instead of gold essentially improve nothing?

Right now we don't have money backed by gold.

If we did, it would improve a lot.

Bitcoins have an advantage over gold that they are inherently
electronically transferable, and disadvantage relative to gold
in that gold has been money for a very long time, and that gold
as non monetary value as well as monetary value.