On 2011-07-23 2:06 PM, James A. Donald wrote:
when someone contacts me on skype, they can never
successfully pretend to be one of my existing contacts. Why should
someone who contacts me by email be able to pretend to be one of my
existing contacts?

On skype, when someone who is not one of your existing contacts attempts to instant message you, a quite different user interface pops up, a user interface that prominently displays a block button.

After a while, end users become well trained to hit the block button on sight whenever it appears unexpectedly.