James A. Donald wrote:
>>Yes, they can make me miss my flight, vandalize my luggage, and all that, but
>>they cannot make me reveal that my truecrypt drive >>has a hidden inner
>>volume.

There's a fundamental legal difference.  It's called the administrative search
exemption.  Basically, the way the TSA can do such things is that they do it to
everyone, and you are told beforehand that you will be subjected to
such procedures.  If such a search is applied only to some, it would be a
violation of the fourth amendment.  Similarly, secondary screening such as the
unpleasantness you described is still illegal unless we get into Clear and
Present territory.

Josh E