> I am wondering just how bad openssl is ?

While one can find various software engineer faults, I think that main issue is
not that it is "bad," it is that OpenSSL is written for cryptographic experts
not standard software developers.

The unfortunate thing is that most of the time the latter have no other choice
but to use OpenSSL; in a perfect world they would be isolated from it by
workflow-specific APIs that prevent them from shooting themselves in the foot
too easily.

Von