On Mar 24, 2013, at 5:30 PM, Jeffrey Walton <noloa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I wonder how they are doing it when other tools fails.

The article explained how they do it.  The case they described said the phone
had no passcode lock, so the data on the phone would not have been encrypted.
In the other cases, the phones did have a passcode lock, but with 10000
possible four digit codes it takes about 40 minutes to run through all given
how Apple has calibrated PBKDF2 on these (4 trials per second).

I've been recommending that people turn off "simple passcode" on iOS devices
and move to at least six digits. If your non-simple passcode is all digits, you
are still get the numeric keypad.

I've written about all that here

http://blog.agilebits.com/2012/03/30/the-abcs-of-xry-not-so-simple-passcodes/

when there was some hyperbolic claims about breaking into iPhones.