Are you assuming a single core?

I ran 'openssl speed' on an 8-core 2.9 GHz Intel Xeon E5-2690 with
hyperthreading enabled, which gives it 16 logical cores. It's an artificial
benchmark, but openssl is able to encrypt using AES-XTS with 128-bit keys
at 28 gigabytes / second for 8KB blocks, which is 225.2 gigabits per second.

This may not be relevant to the whichever platforms the original post was
thinking of. On the x86 platform I tested this on, memory bandwidth would
be the bottleneck before the crypto.

Edited output:

$ uname -a
Linux [hostname] 3.2.0-41-generic #66-Ubuntu SMP Thu Apr 25 03:27:11 UTC
2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

$ openssl speed -multi 16 -evp aes-128-xts
OpenSSL 1.0.1 14 Mar 2012
built on: Mon Apr 15 15:27:18 UTC 2013
[some build output omitted]
The 'numbers' are in 1000s of bytes per second processed.
type             16 bytes     64 bytes    256 bytes   1024 bytes   8192
bytes
evp            3994884.76k 11902064.66k 21140865.02k 26338644.65k
28151824.38k