On 6/22/13 8:24 PM, Greg Rose wrote:

On Jun 22, 2013, at 15:31 , James A. Donald <jam...@echeque.com> wrote:

On 2013-06-23 6:47 AM, Peter Maxwell wrote:
I think Bernstein's Salsa20 is faster and significantly more secure than RC4,
whether you'll be able to design hardware to run at line-speed is somewhat more
questionable though (would be interested to know if it's possible right enough).

I would be surprised if it is faster.

Be surprised, then... almost all of the recent word- or block- oriented stream
ciphers are faster than RC4. And NOTHING should still be using RC4; by today's
standards it is quite insecure.

So I spent some (much too much) time reading old PPP archives on our
earlier discussions selecting an algorithm.  Sadly, 3DES was chosen,
but rarely implemented.

I cobbled together a draft based on old discussion for ARC4.  It
surely needs more work.  Although (as you mention) that's old stuff,
it has the advantage of having running code in most existing systems,
and could be rolled out quickly on high speed connections.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-simpson-ppp-arc4-00

I was attempting a draft for Salsa20, then discovered there's a
successor called ChaCha.  Since I didn't also have enough time to
investigate (and it wasn't mentioned here), I held off pushing out
the Salsa20 draft.

But I'd like to have something more modern in the pipeline.
Please discuss.