Unless a billionaire steps up to fund Tor it will be a while before
small contributions can supplant federal funding. It now comes from
DoD through a contractor and from the State Department's principal
propaganda agency, Braodcast Board of Governors, through a
named front, Internews.

Since this issue has been raised for several years during which
Tor brushed it off and contemned questioners, and has only
recently made the MSM, it is likely the appeal for alternative
funding is no different that the campaign to launder NSA leaks
through suspiciously popular commercial outlets, shortly to be
suppanted by billionaire largess as suspicious alternative to
questioning the honesty and venality of those popular outlets.

And surprise, that billionaire, @pierre, has been disclosed in
tax reports as a Tor funder, EFF funder, funder of a large pack
of do-gooders which happily generate generous tax write-offs
for @pierre, the missus, staff, investors, a what else, Tor
board members. Ah come, now, as it was commanded by
Mammon, so it shall be done.

Don't be surpised if this billionaire also funds Internews. Along
with several dozen organizations doing spy-type things along the
lines of Tor, DoD, State, and other USG spooks in sheepskin
quietly shoveling bribes, oops, grants, to flush NGOs working
the global Freedom of Information for liberation of [fill in the
blanks]. Not to overlook funding of a slew of anonymizing services
and programs, some non-profit some smartly turned profitable
after building a rep for public service, why, even dual-using
the two.

Now don't forget to notice the commercial versions of Tor-like
services sprouting like, like, dare say it, In-Q-Tel. And not least
the growing crowd of lawyers, advisors, comsec consultants,
apologists for failing public trust, and being handy advocates
for more tweaking of faulty comsec and anonymizers.

As it was preached by St Augustine, so sin shall be forgiven,
not right away, to be sure, but late in the life of saints.