Also, for whatever reason, two people messaged me offlist saying that they
supported the idea.

On-list support would be more helpful though, as currently it looks like
there's two votes "No" and only one vote "yes".

One of them offered free hosting:

I'll spawn a VM on a private box in our [redacted], install the OS, install
SMF and host it for free in perpetuity if you can get critical mass and
find people to admin
it etc.

--
Please do not email me anything that you are not comfortable also sharing with
the NSA.