In article <1421436949.4138.11.camel@terabyte> you write:
>https://www.fcc.gov/document/commissioner-pai-stmt-netflixs-conduct-re-open-video-standards
>
>I am not really sure what it is that he is claiming here, but he seems
>to be taking issue with the use of encryption to prevent DPI.

It looks to me like he's under the misimpression that Netflix uses
simple file downloads which could be cached by typical "transparent"
web caches.  In fact they use some Flash thing that adapts to
available bandwidth, so as far as I can tell, there is nothing to
usefully cache.  There's also the issue of how a third party cache
could tell which users had paid to see copies of the cached stuff.

Part of the long running argument between Netflix and large ISPs
involves whether Netflix can put their own servers inside the ISPs,
along the lines of what Akamai does.