If memory serves, ECIES standard required ^authenticated* encryption. That
means - null hash wasn't allowed.

Besides, there's Moxy Marlinspike principle: "If you don't enforce integrity,
sooner or later you'll lose confidentiality as well."

Having said that, I don't recall why that particular change was made, and am
willing to experiment to see what would happen if it's replaced with
MAC::DEFAULT_KEYLENGTH (but we'll need to review the algorithm to recall what
is doing there!).

Sent from my test iPhone