On 01.01.2007 18:18, Tahir Javed wrote:
> Still not clear about whats the status of any networking module integration
> (RakNet, HawkNL etc.), if anyone working on anything or any concrete plans,
> I'd appreciate the info.

There will not be "networking" in CS any time soon, and likely not any
time ever (again) either.

There has been a network plugin in CS some time ago; however, it was
little more than a very thin wrapper over sockets and not much more
useful than that. Wrapper libraries around sockets can also be found on
the 'net (like those you mentioned), sometimes also with some
significant "added value" (e.g. RakNet seems to integrate NAT
punch-through and voice support).

Last but not least, networking is application-specific. FPSes, RTSes,
RPGs... all have somewhat different requirements. Network support
implementation really depends on game-specifics; some "general" library
that handles all well is hard to do.
(That said, CEL has a networking plugin. However, to my knowledge it's
not actively maintained at the moment. Also, I don't know how well *it*
realizes a general network support.)

While that all may sound a bit negative, let me say that I think
networking *is* an important feature - CS is just not the Right Place
for that. CEL is a much better one. And, as I hinted, it network support
could possibly use some more working on ;)

-f.r.