>I am having some trouble starting the last homework problem in hw1 .  Can
>you direct me to either Items in the lecture notes or assigned reading
that
>I can be using to get some direction.

Ask yourself where you have seen this problem (or a very similar problem)
before.
Have you done the knapsack problem already? Look in the Recursion and
Backtracking lecture.
Don't start with hw1.5 before doing the knapsack problem, and making sure
that you understand what is going on there.
How about the Eight-Queens problem -- have you reviewed that? Have you
stepped through the code (either by hand or in a debugger)? You may have
watched Dr. Parker stepping though the code ("playing computer"), but I
would suggest doing it once more by yourself.

>Also do you know if there will be a section before the first homework is
>due..

You will know, but you may not have a section before that.  I will post the
section assignments to the list tonight.

Hans