> Can we assume that the node has a means by which it
> tracks its references?
>
> My thinking is that I could write a method which
> retrieves the number of references to an object.   As
> I pass down the list I use this method and if there is
> more than 2 references (mine + 1 referring node) then
> this is a circular list.
>
> It seems like this is a possible solution in C/C++ but
> may not be possible in Java.

Short answer is no.  Rest of response points you to
where this is said in the problem statement.  But it
is a great idea.

You are given an ordinary linked list (which would
not have a reference count) and you cannot write
the list (thus cannot update the reference counts).
To add a reference count would take O(N) space.

The solution to this problem is enlightnening,
but it is questions like this about potential
solutions that interest me the most.  I find
this problem integrates a lot of ideas from
the course.

- jeff parker