Ian has provided some feedback on the Signing Service ballot. Let’s plan to
discuss on the working group call this week.

Thanks, Bruce.

From: Ian McMillan <ian...@microsoft.com>
Sent: Monday, October 30, 2023 1:30 PM
To: Bruce Morton <bruce.mor...@entrust.com>; Dean Coclin
<dean.coc...@digicert.com>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] RE: Ballot CSC-21: Signing Service Update

Hi Bruce, Sorry for the delay. I think my current struggle is with the
applicability of the NetSec BRs audit for Signing Service (and WebTrust for CA
really). I really see the “Signing Service” as a representative of the
subscriber in terms
Hi Bruce,

Sorry for the delay.

I think my current struggle is with the applicability of the NetSec BRs audit
for Signing Service (and WebTrust for CA really). I really see the “Signing
Service” as a representative of the subscriber in terms of providing key
protection services and providing an interface to securely sign code with a
certificate issued for signing, so the only requirements I am seeing are
applicable are the private key protection requirements. Even when a CA’s parent
organization is providing a signing service option to subscribers, that entity
is all about protecting the private key for the subscriber and is really not
part of the “Certificate System” as you might interpret the definition in the
NetSec BRs. Today, Signing Services that are not offered by CAs are not audited
under these criteria (e.g. Venafi, SignPath, etc.), but now we’d be make them
get audits which are not really applicable. The other question I have now is
how this audit requirement will be enforced (CAs, root programs, both)?

I know we have discussed this point and we agreed we do not want to allow
someone with a HSM and a laptop to stand up a signing service, but there is
really nothing stopping that from happening now because the subscriber private
key protection requirements are what come into play if the subscriber chooses
to work with a signing service that is not from a CA.

Thanks,
Ian