Thanks for the reply, I know you're correct from experience! I use to have
these scrolling water textures that in the .vmf used a proxy, and unless I
had them switched off in Hammer it would make the 3D view lag.

However I am not using these now, but I will deduce if I can if there is
another culprit texture.