Try pressing 1 to decrease hammer camera window draw distance and also zoom in the top, left and side views. Press 2 to increase camera draw distance. If you use tool brushes, you can also tick off everything else and make their faces bigger.

For example, tick off everything but the skybox brush. Select them all, take the texture browser open and change the texture scale X and Y to 2. Do the same for clip, playerclip, hint, skip, areaportal brushes. It will decrease the lag. You can also toggle off the things you don't need to see at the same time.

Do you have AMD card by chance? There's been reports that Hammer lags more with AMD card (i have one, so i'm used to it lagging time to time). I haven't tried on nvidia card.

-ics

Michael Mayea kirjoitti:
Thanks for the reply, I know you're correct from experience! I use to have these scrolling water textures that in the .vmf used a proxy, and unless I had them switched off in Hammer it would make the 3D view lag.

However I am not using these now; I will deduce best I can to see if there is another texture culprit