No need to be a dick against anyone. We're all here just because we have one thing in common, running servers. If you aren't for that here or have nothing contributing to say, you should not post at all.

Let me tell you how i've done since 2004, - ive paid the bills myself from my own pocket and along the way few frieds wanted to contribute too. Run gameservers for many valve games in the past. I've never ran any advertisement or accepted donations from players.

I managed just fine up untill the moment when Valve directed most of the traffic to their own servers in TF2 and in CSGO the community servers were always on the side, and became more on the side once item drops were disabled from them and alowed only on the valve servers.

While you can have active community server, you need to be located in some place that has active players throughout nearly every time of the day and invest a lot of hours to make it work decently and manage map lists etc. As for player donations, if players find a server they like and have friends and such, they will donate towards having that place in the future too. See UKCS for example, they still play CS Source and have active community.

Times are different now than before. As long as Valve or anyone else runs their own servers, community servers are pretty much dead or mod infested advertisement hells. This may or may not change in the future, but times are different now than over 5 years ago.

Just my 2 cents.

-ics

Andrew Jackson kirjoitti:
Saint K is so adorable. Very strong, hard coded opinions about how community servers should be run based on his 18 years of real life community operating experience. If communities aren't run how he thinks they should, they should die a painful death, their owners probably should too huh?

Let's take a look at Saint K's well maintained community that survives on donations and nothing more. Head on over to specialattack.net <http://specialattack.net>. There you can see their donation counter in the top left corner, which SHOCKINGLY reads $0 of $160 needed and here we are halfway through the month! Can you believe it? I can't. It absolutely has to be an error because his highly developed website (circa 1999) and the non-existing TF2 & CSGO game servers that he is running during peak hours in Europe definitely must draw more than enough happy supporters that are willing to donate their hard earned money to his obviously well maintained community, as opposed to spending their money on other games, skins, or things that help them ensure their thirst for instant gratification is quenched.

And here Saint K is, no online CS:GO servers or anything, kind enough to come to the CSGO servers mailing list and fill us all in on how communities should be operated. His 2 CSGO servers ( https://hlstatsx.specialattack.net/hlstats.php?game=csgo ) are booming with popularity (they aren't. they're not even online xD) and he is sparing his precious time to help us by belittling our efforts and throwing off personal insults.

Let's take a look at his TF2 servers. It APPEARS that he has a pretty good amount and that at least 1 is popular ( https://hlstatsx.specialattack.net/hlstats.php?game=tf ). WRONG. Here is that same stats page + player counts next to the Steam Server browser where I added all his servers to my favorites. Kind funny how only 1 of them is even online, it's Garry's Mod, and it's empty, that is really weird: http://imgur.com/BoaCUh6

And lastly, here is his 1 single server that shows up in game tracker (I tried every combination of special attack names to make sure this was accurate): http://www.gametracker.com/search/?query=specialattack&sort=2&order=ASC

So tell us more bullshit Saint K, you slimey weasel. All you ever do is show up here, acting holier than thou, thinking you are something special. Spoiler alert: you're not. You don't even peak anyone's radar until you come flapping your gums. Your non existent servers are empty. Your forums are dead. Donations don't exist outside of you donating for appearances. Get over yourself, fuckin twat.

UPDATE: Just as I was finished writing this, he had a 19 dollar donation show up on his counter. That is fucking hilarious. Saint, are you sending the lunch money your mom gave you to your donations so it looks like someone cares? Lol =D