Ulrich Wiederhold schrieb:

... http://www.icculus.org/~fzzgrr
Is there a way to differ between landscape and portrait format?
Reason: I would like the landscape pictures in the main window in the
upper third and the description below. The portrait pictures shall be
positioned in the left third of the main window and the text should be
the the right side.

The WIKI provides two pages about centering an image
Bruno Fassino: http://www.brunildo.org/test/img_center.html
Steve Clay: http://mrclay.org/web_design/centered_image/

A collection of other methods (which I didn't tried yet) can be found here:
http://www.student.oulu.fi/~laurirai/www/css/middle/
http://www.jakpsatweb.cz/css/css-vertical-center-solution.html

Once you have centered the image in a div#imgholder, the next problem (aligning a caption/description relative to the format of the image) arises.

What about floating the div#imgholder left and narrowing the div#floatcontainer down to a size where wide landscape formatted images will drop the div#caption and portrait images can hold the caption on their right side?

div#floatcontainer (float:left)
  div#imgholder (float:left; min/max width)
     img
  /div
  div#caption(min/max width)
    description