Jan Brasna wrote:
I'm just curious about using -999em for some text hiding or off-screen positioning -- isn't it a bit rought for the browser to "count" similar "distances" from the viewport? Especially on some old
and slow machines?

The weak point is 'ems' and *how* you position off screen. Ems has to be recalculated to px, and there are plenty of web pages around that are not even trying to stay within reasonable values.

Use 'px' off screen, and stay within -1000px left for 'text-indent' and
within -10000px for absolute positioning. That's safe and doesn't slow
down any browser that I've had the chance to test on.

Slowing down:
IE5.0/win becomes very slow with really large off-screen values on a
1GHz PC. No problem for reasonable values.
---

Other limits:
Opera 7+ may "backfire" with large negative text-indents (more than
-1000px). It also has a limit at about 'left: -30000px' for AP.

Firefox has limits, but we can forget those (they are extreme).

IE/Mac has limits both horizontal and vertical around -31000px.
---

Safe:
I recommend 'position: absolute; top: -10000px; left: -10000px;' for
off-screen positioning. I've found that to be pretty safe, and it
doesn't affect speed.

Test "off-screen extremes":
<http://www.gunlaug.no/contents/wd_chaos_07.html>
(note: this page isn't corrected for Opera8's latest bugs.)

regards
        Georg
--
http://www.gunlaug.no