Mark Marlow wrote:

I am simulating a two cell table using CSS (thanks to glish.com).  In
reality, I would like to have 4 columns so the data is perfectly aligned
with each successive row.

Is there any particular reason why you want to simulate a table, rather than actually use a table? This looks like tabular data to me. Maybe a list, but if you can argue about which structure is appropriate, why not choose the easier one?

If you truly must use a simulation:

Here is working test jig.  How can I position the <span> enclosed data to be
relative to the containing div, and not the text in the containing div?

You said you were using relative positioning. Try floats, instead. In this case, span the labels, too, and then float both spans left, but give them explicit widths to preserve alignment (which you'll need to keep IE/Mac happy in any case). But again, "labels", "columns", and "data" are all terms which suggest that this should just be a table.

HTH,
--

-Adam Kuehn