On 21 May 2005, at 3:19 pm, Paul Novitski wrote:

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. A lot of authors mess things up with fixed
line-heights, and even more mess it up using em for line-height.

Felix, could you explain that last? I thought using ems (or percentages) for line-height was the only way to keep line-height proportional to the current font-size.

I'm not sure what problems Felix allude to.
One problem should be obvious however, when it comes to ems (or %). If you set the base size, and the line-height of your text on the body tag, and then only give a font-size for child elements, those will inherit the *computed* value of line-height form the <body>

something like
body { font: 1em/2em serif}
h1 {font-size: 2em; }

the line-height for the h1 will be computed as 2em based on the font-size of <body>

A better solution: use a numerical value for line-height
body { font: 1em/2 serif}

Philippe
---/---
Philippe Wittenbergh