Diona Kidd wrote:
Thank you both. I will certainly look more into the 'quirks mode' to
 find out more.

You don't have to look far -- it's all here:
<http://www.w3.org/International/articles/serving-xhtml/>

Personal opinion: IE6 doesn't have a "standard mode". IE6 only has a
"quirks mode", and a far worse "anything but standard mode" with a W3C
box model and a few hundred extra bugs separating it from standard
compliance.
Conclusion: I will never allow IE6 to render complex web designs in
anything but "quirks mode". Mode doesn't matter for ordinary web designs
-- unless you have to include earlier versions of IE/win and use double
set of hacks to cover both modes.

No need to take my word for it though, since I've only spent a couple of
years figuring out complex mode-differences in IE6.

regards
        Georg
--
http://www.gunlaug.no