change your code to this:

table.borders { /*used when creating a table w/ borders*/
        border:1px solid #d3d3d3;
        padding:10px;
}

table.borders td { /*used when creating a td with borders*/
        padding: .25em;
        border: 1px solid #d3d3d3;
}

you only need to apply class="border" to the table, the second style
will apply the border to any TD inside any TABLE with the
class="border" attribute.

having two classes with the same name on two different html tags
doesn't work (at least I don't think so) it's better to use Descendant
Selectors.  :o)

read more here: http://css.maxdesign.com.au/selectutorial/index.htm

hope that helps,
Zulema