Stephanie Bridges wrote:

> The behavior only occurs in Firefox (I'm using 1.0.4). I could
> reproduce it in IE for a while, but the addition of the
> Once it drops down, it stays there.
> To see it again, clear the browser cache and visit the page again.
[...]
http://www.econ.iastate.edu/programs/undergrad/agbiz/LearningCommunity/socia
l.asp

I could reproduce something similar (both in FF and in IE), not sure if it
is exactly what you are seeing.  My guess is the following:
The content is initially displayed without the images (before they are
completely received by the browser.)  The browser doesn't yet know the size
of the images, so can't reserve space for them, and the page is temporary
shorter. The footer is placed at the end of that content.
As soon as the images are fully received they are displayed, the text is
reflowed around them, the page becomes longer, and the footer should be
moved down accordingly.  This doesn't always happen. In some cases the
footer stay higher.
If this is really the cause, you can solve the problem specifying the size
of your images in the HTML (or, maybe, in the CSS.)

hth,
Bruno