David Laakso wrote:
The sample page is: http://xps.org/test08jun.html with css at http://xps.org/styles/fluid.css

IE, however, pushes the rightmost columns down as the viewport is narrowed. ... should I fix IE to behave like other browsers? If so, how?

Patrick,
I've used min-max width and ie 'expressions' with this
layout<http://www.alistapart.com/articles/negativemargins/>.
It works well for me cross-browser and folds to 560px without breaking. If
you're up for it, plug your stuff in if you like, and see what you
think<http://www.dlaakso.com/sandbox/3c-max-min.html> .
Note: as Georg mentioned-- Quirksmode/Conditional Comments for IE are used
Regards,
David Laakso

David and Georg,
Thank you both. I was trying to avoid putting IE in quirks mode. I will try this out. CSS-D comes through again!
Pat