On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 11:29:05PM +0100, Rachael Beale (CSS-Discuss) wrote:
> http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=CssFriendlyCms
> http://www.456bereastreet.com/archive/200503/content_management_with_plone/
> http://www.456bereastreet.com/archive/200409/open_source_cms_recommendations_wanted/
>
> At work, we're looking to replace our proprietary CMS (which mainly
> plays nicely with CSS, though occasionally picks up its ball and goes
> home...) with an open-source one in the next year or two, so I'm also
> interested to see what people think.

I've been working in an almost exclusively open source environment for
the last 6 years, for a company that's built and customised/extended a
goodly number of OSS CMSs for some fairly big sites.

Until a year or so ago I'd have said that most off-the-shelf OSS CMSs
were only marginally better than their proprietary counterparts in terms
of CSS and HTML quality (although vastly more standards-compliant). The
gap, however, has been widening with every passing month.

In my view Plone leads among the more feature-rich (portally) packages
and WordPress among the simpler ones.  Although I didn't find Plone that
difficult to get to grips with, I'd concur with the general tenor of
Roger Johansson's observations.

Plone's two biggest negatives, for me, were its relatively slow
performance on low spec kit and the none-too-semantic character of its
default HTML (far too many divs and spans for my liking). The latter is,
arguably, something you'll find in most complex off-the-shelf packages,
given the intrinsic difficulty of coding the sematics programmatically
... which is a good reason for giving simpler packages like WordPress a
chance if your needs are modest ...  and for choosing open source
extensibility if they are not.

I was seriously unimpressed by the HTML (and hence the CSS) in the
version of Mambo which I evaluated a few weeks ago, but that may have
been dated (an occasional hazard with stock Debian packages).

WebGUI seems to have more features than any other, but its new-found
affiliation with CSS has the feel of being an after-thought (I tend to
prefer styles to be linked-in rather directly embedded in the page
head).

Bricolage is, perhaps, the most capable of all the packages that I've
evaluated, but its management infrastructure could be overkill for any
but the biggest sites and companies.  I'm told that its excessively
fine-grained workflow has been simplified somewhat in recent months ...
not before time.

Having throw in my tuppence worth, I'd be interested to hear other
people's recent experiences.

Dave