Keith Sader wrote:
I've got a strange layout issue with IE 6.0 and a form.  When I layout
a form ala Man in Blue:
http://www.themaninblue.com/experiment/InForm/margin.htm, I get really
strange box sizing.  The red-outline shows that the box for the
element by itself i.e. w/o a nested <input> or <select>.

Has anyone seen this problem before?

Here's a snippet of the html:
<fieldset>
<label>Equipment Category
    <select name="categoryName" onchange="processCatChange(this)">
         <option value="empty" selected="selected">- Any -</option>
         <option value="Aerial Lifts">Aerial Lifts </option>
    </select>
</label>
 <label>Manufacturer <input type="text" name="manufacturerName"
value=""></label>
... etc.
</fieldset>

If that is an exact code snippet, your problem may be because you have not closed the <input> elements. The site you posted uses an XHTML DOCTYPE and is very particular about closing all of those elements, e.g.:

<input id="firstName1" name="firstName1" type="text" value="First name" />

Note the trailing " /" before the closing angle-bracket. Try closing those on your own site and see what happens. A good way to catch this kind of error is to validate your code before posting. See <http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=CodeValidation> for more on that subject.

Good luck,
--

-Adam Kuehn