That is out of scope for you to play with, it 'belongs' to the UA. It´s a 'feature' most UA vendors have choosen to implement. You can use JavaScript to blur-on-focus but then the element is not in focus and the user can´t activate it with keyboard for example. Sorry, cant have the cake and eat it at the same time. If design is more important then usability. Use the JavaScript solution. If it´s the other way around dont do anything.

Probably it´s only you who is concerned about it cause you are 'home blind' =) Your users will not 'see' it the same way you 'see' it. They may even fancy it.

Discussions about this subject often tend to be like the 'should-I-style-form-controls-or-not'-discussions so don´t be surprised if this thread will turn into Jihad soon =)))

Regards,
Anders Ringqvist

Jørgen Farum Jensen wrote:

I'm concerned with the small dotted border around a link element in focus.

I wish to format the link with the :focus pseudo class, and the browser-generated border tends to destroy the design effect I want.

Is there any way to suppress this effect?

Best regards
Jørgen Farum Jensen
http://www.webdesign101.dk