Hi all,

I'm interested in gathering advice on keeping large stylesheets maintainable, particularly ones that have more than one person working on them. I think that this is an area of CSS that has not been adequately discussed in the past.

I've written more about this on my blog: http://simon.incutio.com/ archive/2005/09/26/maintainability

If anyone has any ideas to share, particularly from tackling this problem in team projects, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks!

Simon Willison

Hi Simon:

In trying to tackle css maintainability, I think you've just scratched the surface on the problem of maintainability any web coding.

As I have always said, css is not a language that lives in a vacuum. In fact, it can't do very much by itself -- it has to be used by other languages to accomplish anything worthwhile.

Furthermore, one can jump-into and out-of several different languages (i.e., css, html, php, perl,javascript, etc.) within the same document to make a single presentation. For example, please review my simple solution of how to use a php variable within a css style sheet:

http://www.sperling.com/examples/pcss/

Because of a diverse focus, all the web languages leave a lot to be desired when it comes to maintainability. I believe that this stems from the fact that all web languages trying to accomplish a single task, which is to deliver a presentation. Unfortunately, no one language does it all, but instead requires a symbiotic dependence on others. As such, it is going to be difficult to define a set of techniques for maintaining styesheets without considering the larger picture. It's like trying to maintain a specific custom from within a larger diverse society.

So, if your goal is to set a standard for maintainability, then this standard should also consider the maintainability problems, and solutions, of other interdependent web languages.

As for me, my "maintainability solution" has always been -- abundant documentation.

tedd