> http://test.upc-orlando.com  3 column (home page)
> http://test.upc-orlando.com/ministries/children   2 column
> http://test.upc-orlando.com/gallery/gallery02.html 1 column

I'm not a pro so be kind ;)

No pro here either. I also just work pro-bono for non-profits. But I've received much help from this list & will try to give back a little.

This looks ok in win ie6 and firefox 1.7, but I'm sure it stinks in ie5 &
5.5 and who knows about Mac.

Actually there is more work to do within the browsers you have available. I see you are targeting 800px window/viewport width. To avoid horizontal scroll bars on 800px viewports you need to set overall width to less. Many use 770px. I believe 748 is "safe" for most common browsers.

Then play with font sizing. You fall victim to an IE misbehavior where extreme font changes result because you used 1em as the body default. Not that 1em isn't good -- these tired old eyes wish more folks start with that. Use percentage instead (only here, em's work fine after that). I use 100.01% and can't remember the exact reason for the fraction. I believe to work around an earlier Opera problem ...

I can't figure out if and when and how to use what hack.

You're doing the right thing to avoid hacks. Use them only when you have to. You asked us to be kind, so I'll only kindly offer that I was disappointed to see all the table tags. <smile>

- Pat -
<http://xps.org/>  and <http://mhcug.org/>