Hi all,

I've spent all afternoon studying how to do a box with a caption in it, following the advice at
http://css.maxdesign.com.au/floatutorial/tutorial0208.htm

However, I'm running into a few problems/questions. So I must be missing something...

First off, because you have to specify the width of the box, how can you accommodate pictures of different sizes? I can't image making a new set of styles for every size photo?

I did find that making the height of the div "auto" seems to work. But making the width = auto would mean I would have to put in line breaks in the caption, otherwise the div expands to fill the text.

My first attempt is online at
http://www.socahort.org/awardsbanquet.html

The CSS is at
http://www.socahort.org/stylesheets/schs.css

go to very end, I used ".captionbox" as my div style (the tutorial used ".floatright"):

.captionbox {
        float: right;
        margin: 0 0 10px 10px;
        background-color: #FFFFFF;
        padding: 10px;
        border: 2px solid #F6B534;
        width: 320px;
        height: auto;
 }
div.captionbox img {
        border: 1px solid #250066;
}
div.captionbox p {
        font-family: Verdana, Arial, Geneva, Helvetica, sans-serif;
        font-size: 50%;
        text-align: center;
        color: #250066;
}

? I can't figure out how to get the caption text to be a different size? I make it 50% which should be very small, but it's showing up as 100.1%, which is what the Body is? And yet, changing the font style works, and the text-align, just not the size.

I don't usually style a div like the tutorial suggests, I usually give each div a name. But if I name the div (i.e., div#captionbox) then I can only have one div with that name, right? I'd like to be able to reuse this design over and over.

as usual, I've ended up more confused than when I started...<G>

thanks in advance,

Trish

--

_______
\ Trish & Chris Meyer/CyberMotion: Motion Graphics Design & Effects