-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Ingo Chao
Sent: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 11:57 AM
Cc: css-d@lists.css-discuss.org
Subject: Re: [css-d] Another try: Flickering in Firefox

bill wrote:
> http://www.first-encounter-design.com

I think its the gecko flicker of overflown areas. I can reproduce it on
a local copy and live in Fx 1.0.5 (but not in Fx 1.5b2):

- unpin the window to allow resizing
- resize the window vertically or horizontally by dragging the edges

The overflown area (#thumbnails container) starts to flicker, e.g., is
positioned vertically to the top of its container for a split of a
second, falls back to its intended place in the page flow, and so on.

You could try to disconnect the overflown area from the page flow:
- add an absolutely positioned inner wrapper to the floated #thumbnails
- move overflow: auto from #thumbnails to the inner wrapper

The flickering container, #thumbnails, is already floating, so it
establishes a new block formatting context:

#thumbnails {
   /* overflow: auto; */
   float: right;
   height: 345px;
   width: 185px;

The a.p. inner wrapper does not need this container to be positioned
relatively, in fact the flicker would start again if the container would
be r.p.

/* inner wrapper to prevent the gecko flicker */

#fx_ap_overflow_wrapper {

   position: absolute; /* disconnects the overflown area from the page
flow */

   overflow: auto; /* removed from thumbnails container*/

   height: 345px; /* equal to thumbnails container */
   width: 185px;
/* these dimensions must be set explicitly because #thumbnails is not
the containing block for a width height of 100% */

   /* no offset top left possible for the same reasons */
   }

/* with a.p., IE6 would need to many fixes */

* html #fx_ap_overflow_wrapper {
        position: static;
        }

Would be nice if someone could test it locally with an old Gecko like
1.0.7 compared to 1.5 to verify the fix. Seems to work in IE6 and
Opera8, but does IE-Mac, Safari and Op9 like it too?

Ingo

--
http://www.satzansatz.de/css.html