>>  2. Really, Al. In what way, is a total separation of presentation
>>and display and content code, like spacer gifs? And in what way is
>>the faux columns technique less like spacers?
>
>Because the same end result could be accomlished by using a very
>large spacer :-)

How? I would dearly like to see an actual working example where
simply inserting a very large spacer would produce anything like the
results of the equal height columns technique.

Or are you just using 'spacer' as a css cheap shot?

>We all use workarounds and hacks to one degree or another, but
>sometimes you >have to drop back ten and punt. We sometimes seem to
>be reaching for the same >carrots we were 5-7 years ago when we
>tried to make tables perform nunatural
>acts :-)

I like the sound of nunatural acts, but this is a family list, so
lets move on...

Fortunately I was an American Football fan in my youth (despite being
British) so I do understand your punt metaphor. To turn it around, my
article is a huddle, saying "No, we don't have to punt, we can go for
a touchdown - those pesky browsers will never know what hit them".

Yes we all use workarounds. So what's the exact problem you have?

I have asked you before offlist to elucidate. I now ask you again
(but I'm lazy and so just copying and pasting)

Which of the techniques do you disagree with? To quote from the
article's conclusion:

The Any Order and Vertical Grid techniques are fundamentally simple.
More importantly, they will carry on working for as long as browsers
support CSS2.1. All that will change is the dropping some of the
hacks which are only needed to help the current crop of browsers
(Safari notwithstanding - and Gecko once they get that regression bug
fixed). That is, the techniques will improve over time. Why? Because
these techniques do exactly what the specs say you can do.
On the other hand, the Equal Height technique is a kludge - despite
the fact that the basic concept is solid and that any future browsers
that are properly conforming will support it. But it's only needed
because display: table-cell doesn't allow for a) reordering the
columns, or in today's browsers at any rate, b) absolute or relative
positioning.
<<<

Do you disagree with my analysis here?

I'm seriously interested about your disagreements, because if you
make a good case I'll probably add something in about it. Personally,
because of the drawbacks that I see of using javascript for any or
all of the component methods, I am too prejudiced to write a fair
case for a javascript alternative. You know, I'd write something like
"Well you could do x (massive subtext but you'd be an idiot)" ;)

Come on Al!

>In a perfect world, it should. But even using position to move something
>offscreen worries me a bit, even though we've used that technique
>ourselves. No >one I know can say for sure what impact these types
>of techniques can have in
>all scenarios.

Well,  no one can tell for sure about all scernarios. One can only
test for those situations that you can imagine and then try a bit
harder. Exactly where to draw the line will be different for each
person, and probably each project

Despite me asking you to take this off list, here we still are. On
list. I apologise to everyone for prolonging this matter but I just
wanted to make my offer/challenge to Al, public and explicit. Unless
it's seriously libellous or rubbish, I'll publish any critique of the
techniques that comprise the One True Layout he cares to throw my
way, though the more constructive it is about alternative solutions
the better. Hey, if anyone else wants to do it, that's ok with me too.

This will be my last response on the matter on list. Please Al, if
you have anything further to add, that isn't related to you know,
that practical css vibe, please direct it to me personally and we can
report back on anything that pops out.