> Is it possible to make css behave like tables??

What, make it hard to maintain, heavy weight and unpredictable in
modern browsers?

> http://www.nssdesign.scot.nhs.uk/about_us/whoweare.php
>
> If you use the browser to enlarge the text size to largest things get a bit
> messy.
> Is there a way to prevent the size of the text or at least detect it?? I want
> things to exand to fit the way HTML tables do.

Then you need to develop your CSS the right way:

- Use float instead of absolute positioning
- Don't restrain heights but allow elements to expand with their content.

> I suppose I could add overflow:auto to the boxes but his is a bit of a
> rubbish solution. Also when I switch the css off I get a messy text only
> version.

Then you didn't design your HTML properly either. Good web design
starts with a valid HTML document that makes sense and is readable
without any images, CSS or scripting.

> I have been working using the great book 'the zen of css design' but i have a
> problem. When I go to the pages (http://csszengarden.com/ )they all use fixed
> text sizes but are AAA and 508 compliant?? If I am providing an alternative
> text only/low graphics  version is this enough to comply with the standards?
> How can they use fixed text and still comply?

As David said, the AAA and 508 links on CSS Zengarden are misleading
and shouldn't be there. The XHTML might be both but most of the
designs are not accessible pages. They are not meant to be, they are
design inspiration.

That is why I started the CSS Toolshed (http://www.csstoolshed.com)
and I am still waiting      for submissions...

> One last thing.....Does anyone know the best way to make tidy css-less
> versions of complex pages

Err? You mean table-less???

Best Tip ever: Get Dan Cederholm's "Bullet Proof CSS", and read that.
Also, stop thinking of CSS as the new tables, CSS design also means
embracing flexibility:
http://www.wait-till-i.com/index.php?p=172

> I want my page to look like this.....
> http://www.nssdesign.scot.nhs.uk/text_only/whoweare_txt.php
>
> but ALL the options of the dropdown menu are shown - a massive list (turn of
> the css on http://www.nssdesign.scot.nhs.uk/about_us/whoweare.php ) and you
> will see what I mean. Can I detect a when the CSS is turned off and redirect
> to my own text only version?
>
> Any hints, tips or ideas will be much appreciated.

Don't rely on CSS to hide and show navigation but keep it on the backend.
As you have PHP, give easynav a go: http://www.onlinetools.org/tools/easynav/

You could check for CSS via JavaScript (by assigning a height to an
element in CSS and reading out the height in JavaScript) and redirect
to the other page automatically, but redirection on the client without
user interaction this is a real accessibility/usability no-no.

--
Chris Heilmann
Blog: http://www.wait-till-i.com