Shelly @ WDG wrote:
> ...  I need to use the ":first-letter" pseudo-class for my links
> (and other assorted header tags).  ... in IE6 (haven't checked older version
> yet) the first letter is
> *way* smaller than the rest, and the <a> tags have completely lost their
> styling and the first letter is showing up just as blue, standard links.
>

> #top {...}
>
> a.top:first-letter {  font-size:1.2em;}
>
> a.top, a.top:link, a.top:visited {
>     ...}
>
> a.top:hover, a.top:active { ...}
>
> ...  At one
> point, I discovered if my "a" tag didn't have a class associated with it,
> and I changed the "first-letter" thing to "a" directly, then it worked - but
> when I tried to do
>
> #top a:first-letter {font-size:1.2em} it went back to "not working".  So it
> seems I'm stuck with "all or nothing" - which drives me berserk.
>
> If I need to upload everything, I can do that so you all can take a peek,
> too - it's just not online yet, so let me know.

In general, just upload a /minimal/ test case. But I think you could try
to raise font-size:1.2em !important in that rule for IE. As you have
already mentioned, IE has some (cough) problems with pseudo-elements and
pseudo-classes and the chaining of them:

http://www.satzansatz.de/cssd/pseudocss.html#first-letter
http://www.satzansatz.de/cssd/pseudocss.html#chain-class-elem

So an advice is to use them in browsers which support this pseudo-stuff,
and hide it from IE.

Ingo

--
http://www.satzansatz.de/css.html