> >This is caused because a vertical scrollbar is shown when a page
> is long but
> >the scrollbar is not shown when another page is short, the effect is that
> >pages appear to shift left and right.
> >
> >I've been using the following to force a permanent scrollbar on
> all pages:
> >
> >html {
> >    min-height: 100%;
> >    margin-bottom: 1px;
> >}
> >
> >This seems to work in IE and Firefox but not Opera.

Couldn't reply sooner, been 'orribly busy :(  Here's the culprit:

html:
http://public.softectra.com/dev/lang/markup/css/cssd/251105_1/index.html
css:
http://public.softectra.com/dev/lang/markup/css/cssd/251105_1/css/good_brows
ers.css
ie:
http://public.softectra.com/dev/lang/markup/css/cssd/251105_1/css/ie_fix.css

(NOTE: I'm experimenting with a new min/max width IE expression I've been
working on for a few weeks that was based on
http://www.svendtofte.com/code/max_width_in_ie/.  My version uses ems and
min/max in a single expression.  I'd be interested in any initial feedback
on this.)

Without the min-height fix above, if you switch between the homepage and
COMPONENTS, the pages seem to shift left and right.  I test in FF 1.0.7,
Opera 8.5 and IE 6.0 on WinXP SP2 (note I'm in quirks mode).  Without the
fix above I get:

FF and Opera = page shifting
IE = no page shifting

If I include the fix using height: 100% (from
http://www.hicksdesign.co.uk/journal/forcing-scrollbars-now-even-better), I
get this:

FF and Opera = no page shifting but I loose my bottom margin (I can increase
the margin in html but this causes unwanted scroll on short pages instead of
just 1px scroll)
IE = no page shifting

I can't remember where from, but I read about using min-height instead of
height to do this, so the latest attempt (with min-height) is this:

FF = no page shifting, margin OK
IE = no page shifting, margin OK
Opera = page shifting

So everything seems to work OK except Opera (could anyone test IE/Mac,
Safari, Unix?)

Thanks all.

Mark.