Rainer Wagener wrote:
> I use "!important" in print.styles quite frequently. e.g. "div {
> float:none ! important; position:static ! important; }" is almost
> mandatory in my print.styles.

I think that's because you organize your styles in such a way that you
have to override a bunch of screen-style. Not a good approach IMO.

Better keep styles for different media apart, so you can write minimal
and exact styles for each media, without having to override anything.

> Also !important is a good solution to override expressions and other
> css rules applied via JavaScript.

I'll agree on that one.

Typical case - min/max width expression that'll work in Strict/Quirks mode:

-----------
CSS for standard compliant browsers:
#wrapper {max-width: 1200px; min-width: 550px;}

CSS for MSIE/win:
#wrapper {width: 760px;}

div#wrapper { width:expression(((document.compatMode &&
document.compatMode=='CSS1Compat') ?
document.documentElement.clientWidth : document.body.clientWidth)
> 1218 ? "1200px" : (((document.compatMode &&
document.compatMode=='CSS1Compat') ?
document.documentElement.clientWidth :
document.body.clientWidth) < 570 ? "552px" : "99.7%")); }

@media print {
div#wrapper {width: 100%!important;}
}

Nothing but !important will make IE/win override that expression (which
is borrowed from javascript) when such a page is going to print -- even
if the expression is wrapped in an @media screen rule.

More info: <http://www.gunlaug.no/contents/wd_1_02_01.html#item34>

regards
        Georg