Hey Everyone,
I'm having a really hard time trying to decide how I'm going to build a
site for work.  I am making a huge effort here to do this in CSS and not
use any browser hacks so it's a bit of a frustration for me because I'm
really used to working with tables and know how they react.

For starters, here is an example of one of the pages (probably the most
complex):

http://www.csulb.edu/~mmina/cota/cota_calendar_v2.jpg

I am only concerned with the content area (everything below the banner,
above the footer).  The rest is from a campus template that can't be
changed.

Here's what I'd like: Left nav column to be a fixed width, calendar
column to be fixed, calendar details (right-most column) liquid.  Also,
just so you know, the rest of the site pages have a fixed nav with fluid
content).

My problem is I don't know how to implement this.  I've been researching
and found the following:

1. I found this simple 2-column layout page:

http://realworldstyle.com/2col.html

It doesn't use any hacks and seems to work in many browsers.  For the
calendar page, I was thinking of nesting another 2-column layout within
the content side which would give me fixed-fixed-liquid columns.

2. Our campus web developers came up with a layout method where they
float every column to the left like so:

http://www.csulb.edu/divisions/dt/

Is there any reason I can't just set fixed widths on the columns that I
want fixed and then set percentages on the columns I want fluid?  It
seems like it could work, but it just seems to easy...

I think those are the only two ideas that I've figured out.  I'm kinda
at a loss what to do.  I'd really love to hear some drawbacks,
suggestions, whatever.  The biggest problem I'm having is that it seems
there are so many different ways to pull things off that I don't know
what to pick.

Let me say this.  For the time being, I am willing to adjust my markup
so that it helps with layout (nested divs, ordered markup, etc).  I know
this goes against the spirit of CSS, but it seems like all the
implementations that only use CSS for presentation (holy grail, etc) are
using hacks to deal with the browser inconsistencies.  When the browser
mess has cleared for a bit, I'll move towards that goal.  However, right
now I'm willing to make a small compromise.

Thanks!
Mike