Christian Heilmann wrote:

> However, as sexy as highlighting with CSS only is, it does not make
> sense from a usability/accessibility point of view, as the current
> page _should not be a link_. Personally I highlight the current page
> with a strong - as this also makes sense without CSS and use the body
> id coupled with the nav id and the strong to apply the style.
> (http://www.csstoolshed.com/cocking/ page 8)

but if you are using server includes, you cannot do this-adding a strong
tag to a specific link in the include. That's why many developers take
the other approach. Additionally, the bottom (footer) links can be a
"top level" category, where additional pages (3rd or deeper levels) fall
under that category or section.

I'm just adding to the conversation as to WHY someone might take the
other approach. With includes, you cannot make them different on each
page, except via some overriding (specificity) unique combination of
selectors, often started with the body tag and applying a class or id to it.

Just to throw in another thought on this - there are many times that you
might have page functions that display or don't display, yet are part of
an include. AND, you might be also setting the "selected" state of main
and footer links (even utility type links)... in many cases, I find I
have to go with classes *because* I can use more than one class, where I
cannot use more than one ID on the body tag.

HTH
donna