Hi Franky,

Thanks much for the great summary, and for your work on this! I actually
didn’t realize I had created invalid markup until you pointed it out. I’m
not entirely sure what you are suggesting for the work-around, but I would
*really* love to see it, or maybe you could give a brief code example of
what you are talking about?

In order to make things as accessible as possible, we’d really need to nest
the menus, so it’s too bad that Opera doesn’t like that. Here is an old
version of our page without the nested menus:
http://www.berkeley.edu/test/calendar-tabs/sports-tabs-1.html This of course
works just fine in Opera, but doesn’t give the context of each menu (e.g.
they can’t tell that the menu that includes “All Intercollegiate Sports” is
a submenu of the Sports menu) to users of screen readers. I recently
discovered that you can download 40 minute versions of JAWS and Window Eyes,
the most popular screen readers out there. They work for 40 minutes each
time you re-boot your computer. It is really enlightening to do testing with
these versions, though it does take a bit of work to get up to speed on
their commands and how to use them properly. Here’s an article on this:
http://www.webaim.org/techniques/articles/screenreader_testing/

Thanks!
Allison

  _____