Yeah.. just set a background color on your body (an outer container
div).  Now, if you want the background color to show through your little
diamond things, you'll need to make a transparency, making sure to use
the background color as the color you select for the transparency so it
aliases nicely.  If you don't, you'll get halos around the graphics.

There are plenty of articles regarding creating GIF transparencies in
photoshop on google.

thanks,
Mike