Hello all,

I am going to make some example layouts involving liquid and elastic
widths. I am looking for some best practices on making an accessible
layout. Here are some options I am considering:

- a fluid layout with em based max-width
- an elastic layout with max-width 100%
- an elastic layout without max-width

Right now I am leaning towards the fluid layout with em based
max-width as the most accessible choice for any layout. An example of
this can be found at http://www.cssliquid.com

What I am wondering about is the elastic layouts. A while back there
was a discussion about whether or not elastic layouts should have a
max-width 100%. I am very partial to the max-width, since I can't
imagine a site without it being as usable. The only exception to this
is a layout with 3 or 4 columns, in which case it might be better to
allow the columns to go offscreen rather than get too narrow for their
content.

Also, an elastic layout with max-width 100% is not very different from
a fluid layout with max-width in ems, but I'm think the elastic layout
has the advantage of looking better on large screens in IE when
max-width is not supported.

Anyway, does anyone have any information or experience in working with
these layouts and accessibility/usability? If there isn't any
information on which is more usable then maybe it's about time I do
some tests.

Christian Montoya
christianmontoya.com ... rdpdesign.com ... cssliquid.com