I am continually scripting CSS, because for one of the main sites I
work on the images are coming out of a CMS, so I need to write a
references asp.net whenever I want a background-image. Colours are
also dynamic in some parts of the site.

However, over two years of hardcore CSS work, I have found myself
scripting less and less. At one time we were using a navigation system
which required dynamically writing special rules for each element, and
adding an extra line of CSS to each page to indicate which page was
being visited. Then I realised all that was needed was a special class
written into the html for the navigation of the current page. It is
often the case that re-framing the problem leads to a simple, static
solution, as others have already pointed out.

I have been working on an AJAX project of late, but am avoiding the
temptations of adding new CSS rules by javascript. IMO that way
madness lies. If js sets classes and ids, these are all the hooks my
static CSS needs.

Chris