I am just learning how to create pages with heavy use of CSS, so
please bare with me on trying to figure out the differences between
IE's use of CSS and every other browsers. I am trying to have a
center container and all content within that container. I want it to
work much like http://www.news.com.

What I have is this:

.container
{
        width: 800px;
        background: url(../images/center.gif);
        margin: 0 auto;
        border: 1px solid red;
}

In Firefox and Safari, everything looks great, but in IE, it looks
like a train wreck. You can see it at http://www.philliparock.com/
beta I have added the red border to show where the container ends.
You will see that in IE it ends earlier than it should.

Can anyone tell me what I need to do to get this to display
correctly? Am I asking too much?

Mike