I've just been going through what has been done at the
Zen Garden and was wondering why the absolute
positioning method is almost always used.

Numbers:
31, Hedges
35, Release One
93, South of the Border
95, Corporate Zenworks
100, 15 Petals

all use this position: absolute method to place the
navigation links on one side - number 100, 15 Petals,
is covered in "More Eric Meyer on CSS".

Douglas Bowman talks a little bit about designing in
the Zen Garden (he did number 17, Golden Mean):

http://www.stopdesign.com/log/2003/05/27/in_the_garden.html

He writes here:

"This can potentially eliminate the option of using
float as a means to group content into side-by-side
columns.
Such is the case when applying style to the Zen
Garden’s markup.  Using position:absolute for a few of
the divs frees us up to layout the page with pieces of
content in specific positions without relying on their
order within the markup."

But I don't see the float option as being eliminated
in the Zen Garden.  More that it is a less flexible
way of laying out the page... OR, I don't know what
I'm talking about.

Still, there are about 200 designs up and I've only
gone thruogh about ten of them so far.  I'll keep
looking - just thought it might be easier (lazier) to
ask in the mailing list :)