Christian Collins wrote:
> I've just been going through what has been done at the Zen Garden and
>  was wondering why the absolute positioning method is almost always
> used.

Zen Garden is about looks - not about practical design. AP-based layouts
work well when it's all about looks - as long as no one challenges them.
A lot of those Zen Garden creations are completely lost when subjected
to simple font-resizing in a browser - any browser, but that doesn't
matter there.

> But I don't see the float option as being eliminated in the Zen
> Garden.  More that it is a less flexible way of laying out the
> page... OR, I don't know what I'm talking about.

Floats will behave like floats - always, and can't be positioned freely
without some extra markup. That's a no-no in the Zen Garden.
In practical design OTOH there are no such limits, which makes
float-based layouts a lot more flexible/scalable than AP-based layouts
can ever be.

Combining floats, flow and AP in the same layout - using floats and flow
for the major parts and AP for bits and pieces - gives us the best of
both worlds, and is probably the best option at hand today.

Some of the Zen Garden designs use such combinations to their advantage,
and will actually work in the real world. Others are created as static
and non-scalable as a screenshot, and tend to break when subjected to
any real-world browser-options.

regards
        Georg
--