>I can't seem to alter the line height in the drop-down, which
>is too high in IE.

I believe this is the white-space bug.  IE will render the white
spaces between list items.  One good technique for defeating the bug
is to put the white space inside the list item tags, like so:

<ul><li>stuff</li
   ><li>more stuff</li

Note that the line break is INSIDE the tags, so there is no white
space BETWEEN the tags.  That's generally the easiest way to do it,
although there are other methods, as well.

>A second issue is that I've used the << !important >> hack for display in
>IE, although I've paid attention today to the << conditional comments >>
>suggestions.  Can I jump in and out of these conditionals - as I might when
>intermixing PHP code with HTML- or is this used in some different manner?

You can't put conditional comments directly into a stylesheet at
all.  Typically, they are used to serve up a link to an independent
IE-only stylesheet, like this:

<head>
   <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="regularstyles.css" />
   <!--[if lte IE 6]>
   <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="ieonlystyles.css" />
   <![endif]-->
</head>

Note that the conditional comments do not appear inside a style
block, but are used directly in the document head to serve a link to
a stylesheet.

HTH,

-Adam Kuehn